Karditsa is the seat of the regional district of the same name . The city is located on a transport node in the Thessalian plain between the 60 km distant Larisa in the northeast, the 94 km distant Lamia in the south, the 100 km away Volos in the east and the 29 km distant Trikala in the northwest. Karditsa is also connected to the railway network (branch line of the route Athens - Thessaloniki to Kalambaka ). To the west and south of the city, the Thessalian plain merges into a hilly landscape and the foothills of the southern Pindos Mountains , the municipality extends Karditsa south about 20 kilometers into the mountains and borders here to the region of Central Greece .
The foundation of the fortified settlement falls under the Turkish rule. The settlement was built to protect against attacks by the inhabitants of the Agrafa Mountains. Soon, Greek merchants also used the marketplace. The name is probably derived from the Slavic name Graditsa, which means something like small town or small (fortified) city. In 1821, a plague epidemic claimed numerous victims. In 1881 Karditsa came to Greece with Thessaly. The following year, the municipality was raised to the city.
In 1941 Karditsa was occupied by the German Wehrmacht . Already on March 12, 1943, Greek partisans were able to take over the old town.Karditsa was one of the first liberated cities in southeastern Europe. Today, the city is the administrative, cultural and economic center of the prefecture. There is also a branch office of the University of Thessaly .